• Looking back to the last Sunday in Sept., David Rubenstein made his tri comback in the Yokohama Triathlon, finishing in a slow (for him) 2:37:46, but still 204th out of 924. Also competing were Mika T, Mary, Geraldine, Stan, Brad, Dave and Mark.
• Also back in September, Chris Parry blasted the Oiso Long Beach Prince Hotel Sprint Triathlon (500m swim, 9k bike, 3k run), finishing 4th overall against a very strong field of Japanese and foreign triathletes.
• Derek Leong, who likes to race, went all the way to Kamoshika in Mie Prefecture (one hour from Nagoya) to run the Kamoshika Half Marathon on the 14th. He enjoyed the race along with 2565 others and timed 1:33:44 for 115th place.
• In overseas news, Brent Millican ran the Chicago Marathon on the 7th, recording a 3:08:44 – a 4-minute PB. The weather was great and Brent’s preparation was helped by the Kamakura hill run and 5000m time trial during his recent visit.
• Jay Johanessen was also across the pond in Seattle on the 21st and dashed 10K in the Dawg Dash (U of Wash. mascot is the huskie) in 36:11, good for 1st in the 40-49 division and 5th overall out of 1,200.
• Mike Trees traveled from England to New Zealand for the ITU world championships. He won his 50-54 age group in both the Aquathon (1000m swim, 5k run) and sprint triathlon, just five days apart. A double world champion!!
• The 21st saw a number of Nambanners running up and down big hills in the Koshu Fruits races in the Yamanashi wine region. Derek Leong and Chika Kanai ran the 23K, Chika finishing as 4th woman. In the 10K, Stan Chow ran 42:10 to come in 30th out of 817, Adrian Ringin ran 54:13 and Pat Higase was right behind him in 54:24, good for 55th out of 1,121 women.
• Also on the 21st, Bernard Plagge raced to a fast 1:23:05 in the Arakawa Turtle Half Marathon, good for 105th out of 6,753 (and a PB for the last 20 years), while Raymond Wong cruised to a 1:32. Bernard did well the next week, too, running 38:31 in the Sportsone 10K, and taking first place and a PB!
• Satohi Numasawa went to Chiba on the 28th for the Teganuma Half Marathon, which she treated as a “test race” and was very happy with her 1:32:27.
• The Namban Rengo Run and BBQ was held on the 28th, with about 75 people. Half marathon winners were Harrisson Uk in 1:23:55 and Rie Onodera in 1:42:25. 10K winners were Jay Johanessen in 38:10 and Meg Rubenstein in 43:03.BBQ thanks go to Jack, for lending his huge BBQ grill, Brad for hauling the huge BBQ grill in his car, and anyone who helped haul the huge BBQ grill down and then up the hill to the venue. Also to Motozo and others for great grilling technique. And in traditional BBQ fashion, the cooking heat level was perfect…just as we were about to leave.
• The club 5000m time trial on the 31st was led by Kai Layden of ASIJ in 16:48, followed by Mike Trees in 16:55 and Ryosuke Suzuki in 17:08. Rie Onodera again topped the women in 20:35 with Satohi Numasawa right behind her in 20:36.
Namban workouts on Wednesday nights at Oda track from 7:25pm.
• 7 – 1000 x 6
• 14 – 1200, 1200, 1200, 800, 800, 400
• 21 – 1600 1200 1000 1000 800 400
• 28 – 5000m time trial
Autumn birds flying
And running around, even
A dodo like me