HAIKU OF THE MONTH
Prelude to summer.
Before rains pelt and heat blasts
June is glorious.
JUNE WORKOUT SCHEDULE
At Oda Field track near Yoyogi Park from 730pm.
- 6 — 1000 x 6
- 13 — 1200 x 2, 1000 x 2, 800 x 2
- 20 — 1600, 1200, 800 x 2, 400
- 27 — 5000m time trial
- The big Sendai Half Marathon was held on the 13th, with six Nambanners participating, and all had very good results. Weather was 21C and humid. Mike Hegarty – 1:22:03, Daigo Asada – 1:25:31, Faith Geraghty – 1:36:19, Rika Homma – 1:37:28, Emily Furuichi – 1:40:54, Yuko Takamuki – 1:41:45 (PB).
- Also on that day was one of the club’s most popular races, the Fuji Susono Half and 10K. 20 Namban members took part, even though this is a tough course that starts with a 5km uphill. Jay Johannesen placed 2nd in has 10K AG, Nick Coyle ran a PB of 1:32:51 (paced by Stan Chow), and Tony Collins ran a PB of 1:34:16.
- In the Toshi no Onaishi 50K, Katsu Kinoshita finished in 5:36. Teruyuki Minegishi also ran the 50K and Emmanuel Obser ran the 20K.
- Our Ultra runners were out in force at the Yatsugatake Nobeyama 100KM Ultra. Results were: Satoshi Hashimoto 11:35:06, Hiro Terada 12:20:45, Taro Oguchi 12:34:07, Max Streeter 12:39:38, and David Abbott. Yuri Kambara was 3rd in the 71km race in 7:24:33! and Amol Bansode finished in 9:32:38. And in the 42km race Chika Kanai ran 4:05:40. BTW, Yuki Kawauchi broke the 71km course record by six minutes, winning in 4:41:55.
- Yoshie Niitsuma reports: Finished 40K (my longest) trail race in Okutama on the 19th. It was very hard and dangerous course and I got lost and fell many times. It took me about 10 hours to finish but happy. 52 runners started and 38 were able to finish.
- Faith Geraghty was in Niigata on the 20th. She reports: I ran the Kashiwazaki Shiokaze Half Marathon near Niigata yesterday. It was a fabulous race – very scenic and lots of friendly locals out supporting. I ran 1:39:20 which I was very pleased with as it was pretty hilly and I didn’t taper. That was enough to get me 4th in my age category.
- On the same day in Nagano pref., Bob Poulson, Emma Riley and Raymond Campbell were at the Karuizawa Half. This was a very nice course, flat and quite a bit of it on roads though woods, and the weather was ideal. Emma ran 1:37:19 to take 8th in her AG and 31st overall out of 1,608. Bob’s time was 1:38:20, winning his AG by 5-1/2 minutes. Don’t know Raymond’s time but it was nice to see him on the course.
- In Germany on the 26th, Dennis Buchner ran the SV HU Sportland 10K in 38:18, finishing 2nd!
- On the 27th, Sarah Martin and Faith Geraghty were in Niigata for the Kushigata Wind Trial Race. Sarah ran brilliantly, finishing in 2:31:42 to WIN the women’s 18K race. Faith was 3rd in the 18-49 AG in 3:27:21. They both enjoyed this very friendly race.
- 5000m multiclub time trial results
- 5000m time trial results