• On August 5th, on Cape Ann, Mass., Christian Sommer took first place in the YuKanRun half marathon with a time of 1:15:58.
• Also in the US, Mary Eckstein fought her way through Ironman New York City on the 12th. After her 52-minute swim and 6:53 bike, both of which she was very happy with, her marathon took 5:26, which she was NOT happy with. However, since the course was hilly, the weather hot and she was nauseous most of the time, it was a great performance. Total time: 13:23.
• Another of Namban Rengo’s awesome triathlon team, Geraldine Nogami, was in London for the Olympics, so decided to pop over to Sweden on the 19th and do a full Ironman: Ironman Sweden. Despite a somewhat shocking lack of training, she finished in 15:03 and enjoyed the experience.
• On the 26th, Raymond Wong joined the Kashiwanoha Relay Marathon with five friends, running 4 x 2km in an average 7:31, pretty good for a very hot day.
• The big event on the 26th, however, was the Hokkaido Marathon, and it was hot there also (up to 31C). Alex Fleury, visiting from Denmark, and Derek Leong struggled in the heat, but enjoyed the race atmosphere and surely the post-race activities in the home of Sapporo beer. Alex’s time was 4:15 and Derek’s 3:58, good considering heat, lack of training (Alex) and knee issues (Derek).
• The Aug. 29th 5,000m time trial saw a large group doing their best to ignore the heat, led home by Erik Emilsson in 17:04 and Akiko Yamazaki in 22:02. PBs were set by Petr Matous in 20:50 and Akiko Yamazaki.
Namban workouts on Wednesday nights at Oda track from 7:25pm.
• 5 – 1000 x 5, 400
• 12 – 600m warmup, One Mile Time Trial, 800 x 4
• 19 – 1200 1000 800 1200 1000 400
• 26 – 5000m time trial
The cicadas sing
The nights turn (slightly) cooler
Is fall getting close?