• The 4th saw Jay Johannessen and Omar Minami in Singapore for the Safra Bridge Run (half marathon). Jay ran 1:24 (3rd in Masters) and Omar…ran. Subjected to intense heat and humidity, they were more concerned with finishing and not melting, than with their times.
• The 7th was Lars Uehlin’s last night with Namban, as he has now returned to Germany.
• Adrian Ringin, Daniel and two of Adrian’s friends participated in the Number Do Ekiden in and around the National Stadium. They fought the heat and finished very well in 71st place out of 408 teams.
• On the 17th Cory McGowan, James MIdgely and two friends ran in the Saista Ekiden based in Saista Stadium in Saitama. Another great result, as they came in 14th out of 367 teams.
• In news from Australia, Jon Holmes, Tamami Koike and Mutsumi ran a hilly 8km cross-country race on the 24th. Tamami recorded a PB.
• As you can see in the main news report, six Nambanners journeyed out to Watarase for an enjoyable half marathon on the 25th.
• Paul Mundt, Namban’s intrepid ulta-marathoner, ran the Karisaka 143km race on the 25th (I think). The course went from Kofu, into the Chichibu mountains and finished in Kawagoe. With a 24-hour deadline, Paul finished in 23:20, good enough for 85th out of 225 (113 didn’t finish). I think this is a race of which we can truly say, “Every finisher is a winner.” Two of Paul’s comments stood out for me: “one runner whose limp body I had to navigate around—not sure if he made it or was ever heard from again” and “Highly recommended.” If you say so, Paul….
• Stan Chow was back in Canada for two weeks and ran two races. The first was a 10K in Toronto in 41:04 (23rd out of 840). He met Christian who was volunteering as a race marshal and who will be going for a marathon PB in Toronto in October. The second was the scenic Montreal Marathon in which he ran a huge PB of 3:29:34 despite humid weather.
All Namban workouts at Oda Field from 7:25pm.
• 2 Murakami Triathlon
• 5 Namban workout. 1000 x 6
• 8 Arakawa 30k
• 12 Namban workout. 400, 1000, 1200, 1200, 1000, 800
• 16 Katsunuma Fruits & Wine Marathon, Turtle Marathon
• 19 Namban workout. 1200, 1200, 1000, 1000, 800, 800
• 26 Namban workout. 5,000m time trial.
Cool, crisp morning air
Flocks of runners everywhere
It’s racing season