• Jay Johanessen was in the US early in the month and ran the Western Washington Cross Country meet on the 12th, finishing in 38:00 on a typically tough X-C course.
• Sunday the 13th was the Chicago Marathon, where Brent Millican ran an excellent 3:05:06 — a PB by 1:30!
• Raymond Wong ran the Nagareyama Road Race on the 13th, claiming a PB in 38:35. Congratulations!
• A race popular with Nambanners, the Koshu Fruit 23K and 10K, took place on the 20th in cold, rainy conditions. This is an extremely hilly course, but no problem for Mika Kume, who has overcome a bad bike accident and a cancer scare this year, and ran the 10k in 54:40, good for 42nd out of 1,082. Yuka Morrell (55:38 and Naoko Hanakawa also ran the 10. Derek Leong led the way in the 23K, finishing in 2:15:58 and placing 49th out of 227. He was followed by Chika Kanai in 2:29, 9th woman, and Anthony Kraft in 2:44. Stan Chow (42:10/29th), Sumie Kawakami and Yukari Murahara also ran.
• Also on the 20th was the Turtle Half Marathon, 10K and 5K. Eight (I think) club members ran in the hard rain, led by Brett Whiteoak in 1:23:03.
• Over in America, Rodelyn Salazar, proudly wearing her Namban singlet, finished her first marathon, Detroit Free Press, on the 20th.
• Japan’s big October marathon was Osaka on the 27th. Yuichi Kanamori finished in 3:15:48, followed by Philippe Boue in 3:22 (stomach troubles). Nick Coyle and Naoyuki Niijima also ran this one.
• Raymond Campbell was in chilly (7°) Karuizawa on the 27th, where he ran 1:38 in the Karuizawa Half.
• The Togakushi Trail Race (27th) is 28km and starts by going up two mountains. Kaoru Arai ran it in 6:23:58, finishing 262nd out of 400, and 46th woman — great!
• Also on the 27th, in his third race of the month, tireless Raymond Wong ran the Taganuma Half Marathon in a very windy 1:27:58.
• After his PB in Chicago, globe-trotting Brent Millican decided to hop into the Frankfurt Marathon, where he recorded an amazing 3:08:30.
• The month finished up with the Namban 5,000m Time Trial on the 30th, where an impressive 20 men ran under 19:00 (21 if we give Derek an 18:59), led by Mike Trees in 16:20.
Namban workouts on Wednesday nights at Oda track from 7:25pm.
6 – 1000 x 6
13 – 1200 1200 1000 1000 800 800
20 – 600 800 1000 1200 1000 800 600
27 – 5000m time trial
Typhoons are over
Now the season for running