• March started out in style with the Shibuya-Omotesando Women’s Run on the 2nd. Among the several thousand women running this 10K were Namban’s Satohi Numasawa, Yukari Murahara (PB), Yuki Seshimo, Yuka Morrell, Akiko Murayama, Mami Chandler and Taeko Hara.
• Japan’s most popular marathon for women, the Nagoya Women’s Marathon, was held on the 9th, under cool, dry and sunny conditions. A great day for racing, and Satohi Numasawa took advantage of it, turning in a fine 3:17:24 (5 seconds from her PB). Sachi Nishida was not too far behind running an excellent 3:29:59. Yukiko Shimada also ran well, finishing in 3:48:21, 6 minutes faster than her time at Tokyo two weeks before! Also running were Aki Hoshino and Akiko Murayama.
• Nine mountain climbing fanatics took up the challenge of the Ohyama Tozan 9K race on the 9th. In near perfect weather conditions, they ran along a flat road for a few km, then up a steep road, and finally up 2km of stairs made of rock. Keren Miers placed 8th in the 50s age group with a time of 51:54. Philippe Boue ran 57:43, limited by back and leg pain. The other men were Frank Marsillo, Gildas Tuffin, Yannick Bethegnies and Youri. Our women were led by Carolyn Kim, who finished an excellent 5th in her age group. Chika Kanai also did well with a 10th place AG finish in 1:01:36. Trail ace Mika Kume also ran.
• In Seoul on the same day, Harrisson Uk had a not-so-nice race, proving again that the marathon is a game of chance as despite excellent training, his legs gave out and he finished in, nwell, we won’t say.
•The racing month came to a close with the Izu-Oshima Marathon on the 29th, with the club represented by Carolyn Kim and Chika Kanai. Carolyn ran the very hilly course in 3:38:25 to finish as 2nd woman and 10th overall, while Chika was less than a minute behind her in 3:39:18, 3rd woman and 11th overall.
•In late news, Nambanner Amanda Rice ran in the US Cross Country Championships on February 21st, placing 21st!
• The racing month came to a close with the Tamako Ekiden on the 21st, see story and photo to the right.
• In late news, Nambanner Amanda Rice ran in the US Cross Country Championships on February 21st, placing 21st!
Wednesday night workouts are at Oda Field track from 7:30pm.
2 – 1000 x 6
9 – 1200 1200 1000 1000 800 800
16 – 1200 1000 1000 800 800 800 400
23 – 600 800 1000 1200 1000 800 600
30 – 5000m time trial
So, April haikus
Have to include what item?
Right, cherry blossoms!