• Jay Johannesen spent his New Year’s holiday in SE Asia, running the Chiang Mai Half in 1:30 (actually 23km) and the Phnom Penh 15K in just over 60 minutes for the overall win. Arnaud DeHerrypon also ran in Chiang Mai.
• The Jan. 19 Chiba Marine Half is a big race, where Namban Rengo is always well represented. Again this year, runners had to battle a strong, freezing wind over the last 9km. Participants were: Fabian Dubois 1:21:41, Derek Leong 1:25:01 PB, Tadhg Meany 1:25:47 PB, Philippe Boue 1:32:48, Steve Karnass 1:36 PB, Satohi Numasawa, Padraig MacColgain, Chika Kanai 1:39:40, Yukari Murahara 1:44:23 PB, Yukiko Shimada 1:44:26 PB, Richard Bysouth 1:45:06, Yuka Morrell 1:50:34, Tom Boatman 1:56, and Jon Morrell , who had “fun” starting from the very back of the 10K pack, but still managed 41mins.
• Also on the 19th, the club had even more people at the short and quick Shibuya Ekiden in Yoyogi Park. 4-person Namban teams finished 21st, 102nd and 125th in the 155-team Open Division, and 1st (Yay!) and 6th in the Men’s Masters. The women’s team was 7th out of 15. The winning Masters were George Nicholson, Brett Whiteoak, Jay Johannesen and Kimi Kuribayashi.
• Over in the US on the 20th, Brent Millican ran 1:27 in the 3M Half in Texas.
• Eric Lebrasseur and Yuki Seshimo traveled to Katsuta in Ibaraki Pref. for the Katsuta Marathon on the 26th. They both ran PBs (!), Eric in 3:14:03 and Yuki in 3:41:02.
Wednesday night workouts are at Oda Field track from 7:30pm.
5 – 1000 x 6
12 – 1200 1200 1000 1000 800 800
19 – 600 800 1000 1200 1000 800 600
23 – Tokyo Marathon
26 – 5000m time trial
Opening the door
Is that snow I see?
Is that howling just the wind?