MARCH 2015April 1, 2015
Namban turn out in force to support TELLMay 26, 2015
LOOKING BACK, LOOKING AHEAD
- The Paracup charity Half and 10K was held on the 5th, a slightly rainy, slightly cold day — good for running. There were two sections of the Half, each with about 2,000
runners. Running from Namban Rengo were Khalfan Juma 1:28, Yukiko Kanazawa 1:52:03 (gun time, started from back), Tomoko Sawada 1:52:47, Tomoo Noro 1:58, Miyuki Nishida 1:58, Heidi Yung (and friend) 2:24. Toru Matsui ran the 10K in 45:00.
- The Odaiba Girls 10K was on the 11th, where Jenene Marks finished 1st in 40:33. Congratulations!
- Also on the 11th was the Oyama Half, where Nate Breznau ran a 1:17:37 PB.
- On the 12th in the Honjo Waseda Forest Cross Country 12K, Eric Lebrasseur ran 48:38 for 11th AG, and wife Yuki Seshimo ran 61:41 for 6th AG.
- The big Nagano Marathon was held on the 12th. Chris Winter made his marathon debut a good one with a 2:43:50, Steve Karnas just missed sub-3 with 3:00:48, Mika Kume ran 4:07:40, Celine Bouny ran her first marathon in 4:37 and Louisa Danmeri also debuted in 4:41. Nick Coyle and Arnaud Dupont also ran.
- Chih Liew was up in Aichi pref. on the 12th for the Okumikawa Powertrial 66km. This was a very tough mountain race (30% completion) with a 12-hour time limit. Chih made it in 11:58 despite bad leg problems. Well done!
- The 19th saw the 7th running of the Higashi Tanzawa Miyagase Trail Race (30km). Eric Lebrasseur made the podium with a 6th place AG finish in 3:06:40, followed by Kevin Braidy in 3:13:29 and Lawrence Schneck in 3:14:55. Yukiko Shimada ran an excellent 3:43:46 to finish as 3rd overall woman and 2nd AG. Mark Feeley recorded a 4:09:42.
- Also on the 19th was the Kasumigaura Marathon, where four Nambanners ran well: Raymond Wong 3:13, Yuichi Kanamori 3:13:06, Chika Kanai 3:17:52 PB! and Yasuo Hayakawa 3:43:30.
- On the 19th at the Kakegawa Shinchiya Marathon Teriyuki Minegishi finished in 3:28:32.
- And the big, big one – the Challenge Fuji Five Lakes Ultra Marathon, where Yukari Murahara completed the challenge in 13hrs 07mins.
- At the Musashi Moroyama Trail Run, Yoshie Niitsuma ran the 20.5K course in 3:16.
- And finally, marathons don’t get bigger than London (26th). Frances Sommerville was targeting 4:15 and finished in 4:14:14 — great!
Wednesday night workouts are at Oda Field track from 7:30pm.
- 6 – 1000 x 6
- 13 – 1200, 1000, 800, 1200, 1000, 800
- 20 – 1200 800 x 3 (short rest after 1200, longer after 800)
- 27 – 5000m time trial
- 28 – Multi-club 5,000m time trial
HAIKU OF THE MONTH
The short sleeves come out
Winter is well behind us
Running is fun — May!